West Des Moines, Iowa, United States

Phone: (515) 491-9139 Email: Nic@TheMarriagePros.com

Rev. nicole & the marriage pros Iowa's longest serving wedding officiant

Frequently Asked Questions About Your Wedding Ceremony, marriage license

FAQ's  Questions Marriage Elopements Weddings

Answers to common questions

 Q. How much advanced notice do you need for an Elopement? 

A. Some couples book over a year in advance, even for an elopement. However, on weekdays we can usually perform your ceremony with a few hours’ notice.    

Q. How many witnesses are needed in the State of Iowa? 

A. The State requires two witnesses age 18 or over. They do not have to know you, they just have to witness that the marriage ceremony took place.

Q. Where do we get a marriage license? 

A. In Iowa you may get an application for your marriage license at any county recorder’s office. You do not have to get married in the county where you apply for your license. As of the typing of this questions, applications are available online. Once they verify all information and the appropriate amount of time has passed, they will issue you a license.   

 Q. How long is the waiting period in Iowa? 

A. Iowa has a 3-day waiting period. Please contact the Recorder or check their website. They may not count the day they receive your license.   

 Q. Can the 3 day waiting period be waived? 

A. Yes, if approved by a Judge. The Recorder’s office can provide you with more information and the proper forms.   

Q. Is The Marriage Pros affiliated with any religion? 

A. We are non-denominational.    

Q. Can we have a non-religious ceremony? 

A. Yes.  

Q. Does The Marriage Pros perform LGBT wedding? 

A. Yes, every couple is welcome.    

Q. What happens if we forget our marriage license? 

A. We can still perform the ceremony, but the license would have to be signed and turned in to the Recorder’s office within 15 day of they ceremony. The Recorder’s office will make sure everything was legal prior to filing it. If you did not actually apply for a license or were not legally approved for a license, your marriage, even though performed, would not be legal.    

Q. How many people can we have at our elopement?

A. As many as you would like or as your venue allows.

Q. Do you perform traditional ceremonies? 

A. Well, sort of. We used to perform them all the time, but with more couples going to shorter ceremonies, we created our own new version. We do offer a somewhat traditional ceremony, it's just that your family and friends would "help".  We would provide several suggestions and guidance along the way.  Plus, it is always more fun for the couple to watch people they know and an extended honor to family and friends. I am always there if necessary to help during your ceremony.  I do all the parts necessary to make it legal.  You create your own ceremony, but I would have an advanced copy.  In a group, such as those with a traditional -longer ceremony, we discovered there are always people ready to help out. You are always welcome use your own material for your ceremony with this option, you do not have to use our suggestions.  Pricing and availability vary more with this ceremony.

Serving the West Des Moines and Metro Areas - including Ankeny

Contact Rev. Nicole

(515) 491-9139